General top tips
1. Give things a go. There isn't really a manual.... No one will mind if things go a bit wrong at first. In fact they'll probably jump in to help.
2. If you are part of a group or business, share the social media side. The more users, the wider the net (pun intended!). Don't leave it to one person. That's not how it works.
3. Try and do little and often. Spend five minutes at a time with a quick update and a reply.
4. Be postive and reciprocal. Everyone likes a like! Life is hard work, particularly if you are campaigning or working as a volunteer. So letting people know you support them is easy - 'like/favorite' is a great way to pat people on the back. It isn't called social media for nothing. Be nice and people will be nice in return.
Top Facebook Tips
1. If you have a group or business, create a facebook page. Ask close friends and supporters to like this (BIG LIKE BUTTON) and share your posts to get it started. Get started here.
2. Get people in your group/business to understand the value of interacting with this page. Share, like (SMALL LIKE), and comment on posts.
3. Just give it a go! There is no manual. The more you click, the more people will click on your page. I promise. Post on other people's pages. Like their posts (SMALL LIKE) and comment too.
Top Twitter Tips
1. Do it! Do it, do it, do it. It is not about reading about what people had on their toast for breakfast. It is news, information, interaction, support, mobilizing troops... whatever you want it to be.
2. Use the search box (generally top right) to look up topics that interest you. If you see a tweet you like - retweet! Or if you have something to say - reply to the tweet. What's the worst that can happen?
3. Look at your 'interactions' page and reply to people or 'favorite' their tweets if you like what they have said. They will know you have done it, you will have made a connection and once that has happened, anything's possible.
4. Do it! Just get a bit click happy. Follow a few (search Letchworth if you like and follow those people). Click 'reply', say something pertinent and you'll be up and running in no time.
5. Take part in #letchworthlunch. Search it in twitter and do it! The first is happening on Thursday at 12.30pm. Give it a whirl. In fact, see you there :-)
PLEASE get in touch if you want more help. I am a bit keen so I'll probably jump at the chance to blather on a bit more about it all.
Finally - if you are interested in interacting with me and Rhapsode, please follow me on twitter (@Orhapsode) and/or like (BIG LIKE) the Rhapsode facebook page. Then we'll be connected and that's when the fun starts.